Die-Cut Business Cards
Die-cut business cards are business cards printed in custom shapes and sizes. Die-cut business cards that are cut in a combination of square and rounded corners may be a perfect alternative for non-traditional businesses. Use two-sided die-cut business cards for other purposes as well—everything from reminders to lists.
Die-cut business cards use the standard four-color printing process and are usually printed on 12pt+ weight card stock with adjustments to the standard 2 x 3.5 inch business card size.
Die cutting is the actual process used to create business cards in a particular shape, usually from card stock, plastic, or metal. Blades are bent into desired shapes and mounted to a backing, resulting in a die. The die may be associated with what we know as a cookie cutter. A die is then used to cut blanks, used for the printing of multiple die-cut business cards.
Die-cut business cards offer brilliance and creativity in business card design for a reasonable cost. A custom-shaped business card is going to intrigue potential customers, be noticed, and capture a compliment almost every time. The standard four-color printing process uses high-quality 12pt+ weight card stock and produces dramatic and distinct colors for text and images. These extra effects will certainly impress a potential customer and increase reader retention of the information you provide.
Because the die-cut business card requires additional setup, the process is going to be slightly more costly. Additionally, the die-cut business card may be subject to misplacement due to its non-traditional size or shape. It may not fit into a standard wallet and may therefore be placed in a location other than where your potential customers expect to find it. On the other hand, this could be to your advantage if your customers run across your business card when they least expect it.
Consider these design ideas for die-cut business cards:
- Circle or Half-Circle. A circular shaped business card may coincide with your business. Consider whether your text and images will fit well. An oval might be better.
- Hole Punches. Consider hole punches in shapes that represent your business.
- Minis. For something new, see Minis for an alternative yet traditional shape.
- Oval or Half-Oval. An oval or a half-oval might be more efficient than a circle, since it is very close to the standard rectangular business card size.
- Rounded Single Corner. Selecting one rounded corner and three square corners would retain the space you need for contact information but also provide some interest.
- Rounded Opposite Corners. Be bold. For an interesting and space-worthy alternative to standard business cards, try rounding out two opposite corners.
- Rounded Corners. Go all out and round all four corners if you have a non-traditional creative type business. You still have a rectangle.
- Other Custom Shapes. Get creative and search the internet for die-cut business cards to find the perfect shape that represents your business.
For additional design ideas:
Here’s The Deal
If you are a small business, have a sizeable budget, and need to impress your customers, die-cut business cards are a perfect alternative. These interestingly shaped business cards will impress you and your customers in a 12+ weight card stock in distinct and vibrant colors in any shades you need, with clearly printed images. Design your die-cut business cards with a ready-made design template and place your order with an online commercial printer.